If you want to know if you can use Alexa to play Amazon Music…
Yes, that’s the answer.
You can listen to your favorite music by just saying the name of the song.
Keep reading to find out:
- There are 7 easy steps to get Alexa to play Amazon Music.
- The two different ways to link these apps together.
- A list of voice commands for Alexa that have to do with music.
- How to turn on “Hands-free with Alexa.”
- And a whole lot more…
How can Alexa play Amazon Music?
You have to connect the apps before you can use Alexa to play Amazon Music. Set up Amazon Music on your phone and open it. Then tap “Hands-free with Alexa” under “Settings.” Tap “Allow Microphone Access” after clicking the switch to its right. Say “Alexa” once when you’re done. Then your app will be ready to use.
But you can also use the Amazon Alexa app to do this.
I’ll talk about both ways, so let’s get right to it.
How to Play Amazon Music on Alexa in 7 Steps
1: Put the Amazon Music app on your phone.
First of all, you can connect Amazon Music to Alexa in two ways.
One way is by using the Amazon Music app. The other one is through the Amazon Alexa app.
But if you haven’t already, here’s what you need to do to get the music app.
Look for it in the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store (for Android).
Then click to put it in place.
This won’t take more than a minute or two.
But if you already have the Amazon Music app, make sure it’s up to date. Then go directly to step 4.
2: Open your Amazon Music account and sign in.
Launch the Amazon Music app on your phone after you’ve downloaded it.
Then, go to your account and sign in.
Enter your phone number or email address. In addition to your password.
Then, a window will pop up asking if Amazon Music can access your media library.
“What does it do?”
If you click “OK,” you’ll be able to listen to music on both your phone and the app’s streaming library.
3: Let Alexa be used.
After step 2, you should be taken to a different window.
This time, it’s Alexa, Amazon’s voice service, who wants to know if she can do something.
If you let it, you’ll be able to use its voice command system to play music or playlists.
So here’s what you need to do to give it permission:
- First, click on “Get Started.”
- Click “Allow Microphone Access” to use Alexa’s voice service.
Say “Alexa” to turn it on. (Just loud enough so that your phone can pick up your voice.)
After this, you’ll be taken back to the main page of Amazon Music.
“Help! My phone doesn’t have these options.”
If you already have the app on your phone and don’t see the above windows, go to the next step.
4: On your Amazon Music app, go to “Settings.”
Tap the three-dot icon in the upper right corner of the screen while the app is open.
After that, click “Settings.”
After that, the “Hands-free with Alexa” option will show up.
This feature was added in the year 2020. You don’t have to touch your phone to play a song, which is very helpful.
To turn this on:
Step 1: Click the button next to it to turn it on or off.
You should now see the “Allow Microphone Access” window I talked about earlier.
Step 2: Tap the blue button that says “Allow Microphone Access.”
Then click “OK” so that Amazon Music can use your microphone.
Then as a final step…
Step 3: Once, say “Alexa.”
You’ll get a message telling you to say it. And when it’s done, you haven’t just given Alexa access.
But you’ve also set it to work without your hands.
That is, you won’t have to tap the Alexa button before you say a command.
The system will pick up on what you say and do what you say. For example, if you ask Alexa to play a certain song from Amazon Music, she will.
But this will only work if the Amazon Music/Alexa app and your phone are both on.
So that’s it for the Amazon Music app.
If this helped, move on to the next step.
But if you don’t have one, you can do these things with the Amazon Alexa app.
5: Get the Amazon Alexa app and open it.
Again, you can get this from the App Store or the Play Store on your phone.
When it was done downloading:
- Start up the app.
- Tap the “More” button in the bottom right corner.
- Click on “Settings”
- Look for “Music & Podcasts” and click on it.
- Tap “Services by Default.”
- Set the default for the two options to “Amazon Music.” “Music” and “Artist and Genre Stations” are what these are.
If you make it the default service, Alexa will play songs through Amazon Music without you having to do anything. Also if you mention a genre or station.
After this, you can now use Alexa to play Amazon Music.
But your phone might not be set up to work without your hands.
“How can I tell if it’s turned on or not?”
Try saying “Alexa” or asking it to play a certain song while your Amazon Music/Alexa app is open.
If it doesn’t answer, the hands-free feature isn’t working.
But there’s a different way to turn it on.
6: Use Amazon Alexa to turn on the hands-free option.
I’ve already talked about how to use the Amazon Music app to turn on this feature.
This time, though, I’ll show you how to do it with Amazon Alexa.
How to make your device work with “Hands-free Alexa”
- Open your Amazon Alexa app.
- Click the “More” button in the lower right corner of the screen.
- Look for “Settings” and click on it.
- Pick “Alexa on this Phone.”
- Turn “Alexa Hands Free” on by clicking the switch to the right of it. (If it’s turned on, it should be blue.)
So, that’s all!
But again, your Amazon Music/Alexa app should always be running for this to work.
So you must first open one of these apps. If you try to tell Alexa to play music by voice, she won’t hear you.
I know. It’s too bad.
But there is a way to make Alexa play Amazon Music without you having to touch it.
See the trick down below.
7: Start Alexa with Siri or Google Assistant
This might be a way to get around something.
But trust me, life will be so much better once it’s done.
So, if you have an Android phone, set up Google Assistant to open Alexa or Amazon Music without touching your phone. Or Siri, if you have an iPhone or iPad.
For iOS users, all you have to do to start Alexa is ask Siri. Just say, “Siri, open the Alexa app,” and you’re ready to go.
But here are the steps for Android users:
- On your phone, tap the “Google app” button. (This is available in the Play Store.)
- Click the icon with three buttons in the lower right corner.
- Click “Settings.”
- Pick “Google Assistant.”
- Click on the “Helper” tab up top.
- Scroll down to “Assistant devices” and click on “Phone.”
- To turn on Google Assistant, click the switch next to it. (Once more, it has to turn blue.)
- Tap “Get Started” and then “Next” to set it up.
- Click “I Agree” to continue with the voice match.
- Do what’s written on the screen. For instance, say “Ok, Google” and “Hey, Google” each twice.
- If Google was able to understand what you said, tap “Next” and then “Finish.”
So, there you have it. You can now open Amazon Music/Alexa on your Android phone without touching it.
After that, go back to the home screen of your phone.
Then check to see if your Google Assistant works. “Ok Google, open Amazon Alexa” or “Ok Google, open Amazon Music.”
If it works well, it’s time to put on some music.
Ask Alexa to play some music as a bonus.
After you’ve set up Amazon Music on Alexa…
You can now use your voice to play songs.
If you don’t know what to say, here are some suggestions:
- “Alexa, make a list of songs.”
- “Alexa, play a list of songs from Prime.”
- Say, “Alexa, play (song/album/artist).”
- “Alexa, play (station name).”
- Say, “Alexa, play (name of the playlist).”
- Tell Alexa to stop, pause, play, continue, shuffle, and stop shuffle.
- “Alexa, add (song, album, or artist) to (name of the playlist).”
- “Alexa, show me (songs, genres, or playlists) from Prime Music.”
- “Alexa, play (version of the song, such as live or remix) + (song or album).”
- “Alexa, play (music version) + (genre name) + (song/music).”
Note: If Alexa still can’t play your Amazon Music, you may need to reset your device. Take away its source of power, and then turn it on. This could help fix any system errors. So that your Alexa app will work again.